Dear Frankfort Square Park District Residents:
After a long, dark winter, I am really ready for some sunshine and warmer weather. The parks come alive in the spring and summer – everything seems to come to life right before our eyes.
The new season brings people back into the parks in numbers. Baseball/softball fields will be filled with players and spectators. Bike paths will soon be well-traveled by walkers, runners, bikers, and in-line skaters. Golfers will be able to swing off the winter rust in anticipation of the 2013 golf season.
Looking back, 2012 brought new and expanded offerings.
- Addition of 72 solar panels and a wind turbine on the Community Center landscape
- Availability of 21 community garden plots at Brookside Bayou Park
- In excess of $50,000 in college scholarships awarded since 2007, thanks to the generosity of golfers and local businesses
- Largest dance recital to date, with 190 dancers performing during two seatings at the Lincoln-Way North High School Fine Arts Center
Looking forward, the completed Attitude and Interest Survey provides needed direction to better inform park residents of available opportunities. Some survey respondents were unaware of available opportunities; therefore, the primary goal resulting from our survey is to raise resident awareness of available programs and facilities such as:
Fitness center opportunities at Lincoln-Way North
- Summer outdoor concert series at the bandshell located behind the Community Center
- Splash Park adjacent to the Community Center
- A La Cart Family Diner at Square Links Golf Course
The park district brochure remains the most used form of advertisement. In addition, the park district will provide increased information on all aspects of park district operation on the website, www.fspd.org. Summaries of grant projects and facilities will be available to describe unique opportunities within our district. Finally, the link is available, allowing residents to immediately access Park Board agendas, Board minutes, and a plethora of historic park information.
Incorporated in 1974, the park district is entering its 39th year of service and our mission remains:
It is the mission of the Frankfort Square Park District to provide accessible, non-discriminatory recreational services, facilities, and open space in an environmentally conscious, fiscally responsible manner.
Frankfort Square Park District